"Sometimes while I'm talking to God, He'll show me something about myself in such a way that I have to laugh at my own humanity and how funny I must look to Him." - Donna

Donna...just found your blog...I absolutely love it! And I love your singing! I'm at work right now and it was just exactly what I needed to hear to help me make it through tonight! Thanks for your ministry here!
- Robert

Google Time

Custom Search
Protected by Copyscape Website Copyright Protection

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Mission Possible



Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them.Psalm 139:16 esv

I can finally see some shoots of grass in my front yard. A big snowstorm hit our area a few weeks ago, and blanketed everything with twenty inches of snow with a few more added here and there since then. For a while, I felt like God had us inside a giant snow globe, and every so often, He’d give us a good shake.

As I stood at my back door watching the enormous flakes floating gently to the ground, I thought about how each one is unique. Just like people. Did you know there is no one else exactly like you? The arrangement of ridges in any fingerprint is thought to be unique and permanent with each person. No two persons having the same prints have ever been found.

Isn’t that amazing? Lenny LeBlane wrote a song entitled “There Is None Like You.” The lyrics refer to God, but the title could have been written about you.

David wrote in the 139th Psalm: “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.” (Psalm 139:14-15 esv)

As a musician, David, wrote a beautiful song extolling the wonder of the intricacy of our form. It’s just like a unique God to make each of His creatures unique as well.

You have a ministry and a commission given to you by Jesus Christ Himself to reach those around you in your ‘Jerusalem.’ You have an incomparable mission. We have a common goal to reach others for Christ, but your ministry is unique. Your circle of influence reaches people I will never touch. They’ll never read my writing or talk to me or hear me sing. They will have never heard of me. But they know you. They know your life. Who will cross your path today? Are you ready to be the witness God would have you be? Perhaps someone will need to hear words only you can speak, or you might be the only person who can empathize with someone’s plight. Pray. Be ready.

As I write this, God has seen fit to shake my world once again. Giant snowflakes fall in silence outside my window – so beautiful, but please, God – can we keep it down to just an inch or less?

Prayer: Lord, help me to be aware of my unique ministry. May I be led of the Holy Spirit to minister to those You bring across my path. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

To read the Lyrics to “There Is None Like You,” click here.

To hear a recording: click here.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna,

I wanted to write and tell you how nice your music page was to visit. Many webmistresses use wav or windows meta files in their pages, but the MP3 version comes across with much less noise and much better sound quality. It was pure joy to listen to the music and the scrolling text was ingenious! It creates an atmosphere where the music is not only listened to, but the listener can join in the rendition as well.

Excellent Job,
Sandy Ellis

Donna J. Shepherd said...

I'd like to take credit for the music site, but all I did was find it. :) I love the scrolling feature, too, since I'm a visual learner. I'm going to learn "There Is None Like You" to sing in church - a great worship song. Thanks, Sandy, for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Great devotional as usual. -C

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

I thoroughly enjoyed your devotional today. You are doing a great job of writing! The Lord has truly given you a gift in seeing a lesson in the common things around you and the ability to writing about it in such a vivid way.

You mentioned all the snow you have gotten. I live up here in the "frigid north," but our ground is bare at the moment, and we have had temperatures between 40 and 50 degrees at various times over the past few weeks. The warm Chinook winds that come through on an average of 22 times a winter are our "snowplow."

May the Lord bless your day.
Janet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...